Michigan Department of Education
Music Grant (33c)
Section 33 of the 2023-2024 School Aid Bill provides $11,000,000.00 from the state school aid fund for starting a music program for schools with students in kindergarten up through grade 5. The grant funds support K-5 schools which currently do not offer music education at all.
Grant funding is based on the following requirements to be considered an eligible recipient for an allocation:
- Applies for funding in a form and manner prescribed by the department.
- Provide for all pupils in grades K to 5 at least 90 minutes per week of instruction in music, taught by a certificated teacher with a JX or JQ endorsement issued by the department.
- Maintain staffing that includes at least 1 certificated teacher with a JX or JQ endorsement issued by the department for every 400 pupils enrolled in grades K to 5.
- Adopt and implement specific curricula for music.
- Maintain in each elementary school at least 1 space that is designated for music instruction and that allows for effective implementation of the music curriculum, with consideration given to the physical materials and tools needed for music instruction.
- Establish and maintain a separate dedicated budget for music instruction in grades K to 5.
The Michigan Department of Education will soon be soliciting proposals that include the above requirements. Allocation amounts will be determined based on the number of competitive applications and their proposed budgets.
MAEIA has created a sample application that applicants may download and modify to support their application.
For more information regarding the grant application process, contact the Michigan Department of Education: Mary Head, 517-896-3908.
Application Criteria for Music Grant (33c)
Grant Funds Available
Eligible applicants are Michigan districts with a school(s) that serve students in any or all grades K-5 and do not have a music program.
- Adoption and delivery of music curriculum to K-5 students in a school that does not already have a music program.
- A schedule that provides ninety minutes per week of music instruction provided by a teacher with a JX or JQ endorsement.
- A designated space for music instruction.
- A dedicated budget for K-5 music instruction must be created and maintained. Budget can include teacher salary, music curriculum purchase, instrument purchase and repair, music technology and software, recording equipment, sheet music and other applicable costs.
Each 33c music grant application must include all of the following:
- A completed application template uploaded into NexSys.
- A schedule showing 90 minutes of music instruction per week for K-5 students in the building uploaded into NexSys.
- A detailed budget that links to the activities, resources, and personnel uploaded into NexSys.
Applications will be due December 15, 2023.
The review and scoring of each application will be based on criteria outlined in the scoring rubric/checklist. An expert review panel will be sure that all grant requirements are met and the budget is reasonable and aligns with the submitted template. Grant applications are due December 15, 2023. Awardees will be announced by January 12, 2024.
Technical Assistance (optional)
Informational webinars are being hosted by MDE and MAEIA for interested applicants.
Music Grant (33c) Technical Assistance Webinars
Nov 14, 2023 1:00 PM ET
Dec 11, 2023 2:00 PM ET
Michigan Department of Education Resources for Music Grant (33c)
Technical Assistance Video Recording – Coming Soon!